The OSA Student Leadership Conference (SLC) was held on 16 and 17th Oct 2016, followed by Frontier in Optics/Laser Science conference (FiO/LS) from 17th to 21st October 2016 at Rochester Riverside Convention Center, Rochester, New York United States. Also 2016 was the 100th anniversary of OSA, which made it special in recent years.
The OSA Student Leadership Conference (SLC) at FiO/LS brought together 250 chapter officers from around the globe to network amongst their peers and to learn more about successful chapter management and careers in optics and photonics. OSA Student Chapter aimed to develop technical knowledge, leadership experience and lasting relationships with peers and mentors. The programs at the chapter meeting elaborated on the topic how to achieve success with organized OSA events, OSA chapter benefits and unique offers to the chapter members. The leadership conference was also centered on professional development, chapter management and education outreach. The event also served as a forum for student leaders to grow their networks and exchange new ideas for continued personal and professional success as well as best practices for driving their chapters forward.
Following are the events on 16th and 17th. There were plenary sessions followed by parallel small group sessions
- Traveling Your Path, Amy Eskilson, OSA Board of Directors, Inrad Optics
- Everyone’s Favorite Mistakes, Jean-luc Doumont, Principiæ
- Seeing Bright Futures in Optics, David Williams, University of Rochester
Small Group Sessions
- Industry Job Search Hacks, Isaiah Hankel, Cheeky Scientist
- Youth Education Outreach and the Explore Optics Kit, Collette De Harpporte, LASER Classroom
- Getting Published and Funded, Giovanni Volpe, OSA Ambassador
- Join the Light side of the Force: OSA Volunteering, Antigone Marino, OSA Ambassador
- Science Without Limitations: Isaiah Hankel, Cheeky Scientist
- Guide to OSA Student Chapters, Jen Mehltretter, OSA Education Programs Manager
- Light Beyond the Lab: Putting Your Research Skills to Work, Chad Husko, OSA Ambassador
Please find the video clips of above talks in the following link:
The afternoon sessions hosted the posters from more than 200 chapters around the globe. Following chapters were rewarded as winners in the Poster Competition
- Best Design: Institute of Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences OSA Student Chapter; presented by Litong Jiang
- Best Presentation: Queensland University of Technology (QUT) OSA Student Chapter; presented by Dipesh Bhattarai
Student Chapter Excellence Prize
OSA annually recognizes chapters and sections for excellence supporting their local communities and their members. In 2016, OSA awarded chapters and sections prizes in two categories:
- Community/Youth Education Outreach:
This category is for chapters who have made a difference in their local communities. These are chapters who visit schools and science fairs, create their own outreach kits as well as using the Explore Optics Kit and the Optics Suitcase in order to teach youth about the science of light.
Winners under Community/Youth Education Outreach Category:
- New England OSA Local Section (NESOSA) – Community/Youth Education Outreach Local Section Winner
- Laval University OSA Student Chapter, Canada – Community/Youth Education Outreach Student Chapter Winner
2. Professional Development
The Professional Development category is for chapters that are well-oiled machines. These are chapters that hold technical conferences and lecture series with the polish of many professional conferences as well as chapters who are able to guarantee a special experience for members and support diversity and inclusion within both the chapter and the optics and photonics community.
Winners under Professional Development Category-2016:
- Optical Society of Southern California (OSSC), USA – Professional Development Local Section Winner
- Ecole Polytechnique federal de Lausanne OSA Student Chapter, Switzerland – Professional Development Student Chapter Winner